Pottery Update

Last time I payed a visit to my studio I wanted to finish up all the projects I was working on. I had handles to attatch and teasets to assemble. I trimmed foots and lids and threw some of the biggest bowls I have thrown so far (about 3kg/6 pounds, 25 cm/ 9,8” diameter). Beforehand I had only tried throwing lids that kind of sink into the opening and completely rely on the rim of the teapot to stay where they are. Continue reading

Bread with topping that I don’t wanna call Pizza

The other day I had a real craving for baking. I wanted to bake something salty, non-cakey. That imagination was fueled by the thick bush or basil that has been growing in our kitchen all winter long but never was used as a herb because we lacked nice and ripe tomatoes. I imagined a dough that was spread thinly but had a thick rim. And on the thinner part there should be dried tomatoes (also available in winter) and olives and maybe cheese. Very simple. Not too much topping and still winter-friendly. Kind of like focaccia but with a very stretchy and rather firm dough. It should not be Pizza I thought. It should be a bread with a topping. More like the german Dinnete or Flammkuchen. So no tomatosauce and only very few ingredients. But very good ones at that too. And since I didn’t have to work on the market that friday that I wanted to make Pizzabread without it being pizza I went to the market anyways. This time I was a customer though and not selling the products to other people. Fabio and Meike accompanied me and it was one of the most relaxing mornings since a long time. We spent time having coffee, and checking out good cheeses. I bought a 2 year old peccorino and some mountain cheese as well as dried tomatoes and olives and arugula. The dough I had set up in the morning before going to bike the big route. So there was not much time to let the sourdough develope but since I have a pretty strong sourdough the only thing I was really concearned about was the taste, not the rising action. Though the taste doesn’t matter as much, if you top your bread with strong cheese and other yummie stuff I guess. I used a Pizzaflour I had bought from Adler-Mühle recently. It is a mix of semolina and semolinaflour. The dough gets really stretchy in the making and nice and crispy after baking. Continue reading

Going spouty

The past week I spend almost four full days in my studio. Did go there directly after work on tuesday and stayed till late friday. It was amazing! I managed to throw a teapot and learned that spouts are super tricky, especially the thin part on the top. If you throw it too thin it will twist around itself and though that can look pretty cool it usually is just very annoying. I suspect it is a combination of letting the wheel run too slow, moving up too fast, colaring too much in too little time and throwing too wet/ too thin. That said I produced three to four spouts for one teapot because I crashed one, twisted a second and wanted a fourth just in case something happened to the third. Anyways, I had a ton of spouts in the end but only two teapots to put them on. Continue reading

Everyday Ryebread / Lieblingsroggenbrot

So today I had brunch with my close friend and ex roomie Fabio (from Bannetons Brasil) and his girlfriend Meike. We were eating bread that he had baked and some I had done the evening before. I needed to bake bread for quite some days now because we had run out of homemade bread since I had put a lot of time and efford into setting up my own clay studio lately. And since I wasn’t very creative other than in the clay studio I just stuck to my everyday recipe of rye-bread, that I feel already very comfortable with because it turned out to be a reliable recipe. It is also a recipe that you don’t need to take a lot of care of, meaning the starter can ferment a little longer or shorter if necessary. I usually start my sponge in the evening, let it ferment over night, feed it in the morning before going to work and bake when I come home. So there’s not a lot of trouble even if you can’t spend a lot of time checking on your sponge. Well, here it goes: Continue reading

So on tuesday after work I took the train and the bus and went to my new studio. I was tired but that didn’t stop me from making a pasterbat to dry the clay on if it needs to be recycled. I also made a dampbox by pouring plaster inside one of my big storing boxes. And they got to use immediately afterwards. Because on wednesday I started throwing again. I did about 7 mugs out of my Carl Jäger 9/SF clay which has about 20 percent of grog and immediately sanded my hands. But it was a good feeling and I think for starting to throw it was the right clay to not get frustrated with. Continue reading

Setting up a studio #2

So this weekend I worked fulltime on my new studio, with my mom and dad. We made very good progress. Now everything is almost perfect. I installed the shelves for bisqueware and glazeware on the walls as well as the shelves for the glazes themselves. We also set up one more of the workbench-shelves to have more space for all the plaster molds I am going to make. My aunt owns a ton of bought molds, but most of them are veeeeery old and start cracking up. Not sure if I can still use them. Some are also still very dirty from being flooded with mudd-water. I will clean them up, let them dry and see how they work I guess. Continue reading