Sgraffitoaddiction

After six days of working in my studio for at least 9 hours a day I was tired. My molds were tired too. I had slipcasted for six days straight, using up about 18 kg of slip that I had to mix in small batches so it wouldn’t settle in the bucket. On the sixth day the molds were so wet, that the clay didn’t release well from them. Therefore I decided to take the seventh day off and do nothing. I now understand why god needed a break after six days of creating ;-P  So with my break ahead of me I am writing this blog entry. Since slipcasting is mostly waiting, I did lots of other things in between filling and releasing molds. Mostly stuff I didn’t like too much, like recycling clay, wedging or mixing glazes. And since I still had a lot of recycle clay left over I threw some more easy cylindrical  mug-shapes and bowls. Since my mom had liked the jungle-mug a lot I wanted to make another one for her birthday which is coming up soon. The bowls I wanted to decorate with the phrase “I’m sorry for what I said when I was hungry”. My hope is that enough people can identify with it and will buy it when I sell them. So today after having cast the last bit of slip there was I sat at my table carving away. The bowls I did finish inbetween casting, but the mugs I had saved for later. I attatched handles in  a few different ways and started carving. The jungle-mug turned out nicely. But since I had so many other mugs and was in the mood for carving I decided to do another door-mug  as a hommage to Kerstin Gier’s book “Dream a little dream” (Silver trilogy). Well what can I say, it was so much fun, that I did several more mugs with doors on them. I like to imagine whom the door would belong to and why it looked this way.

Update

So far everything is going more or less well. I really need to start working on my portfolio though, for which I need to take photographs of stuff that hasn’t been fired yet. The test-plate that I painted with overglaze turned out quite well though. It did wrap a little too, unintentionally. I guess I need to use more tripods underneath it so it’ll be more stable and not wrap/ sink in as much. Also I probably shouldn’t fire them as hot as I did, since the overglaze can only just stand 1230 °C. I was wondering if I could fire it together with the bisqueware though I am not sure if that is hot enough. I’ll probably just try to place the plates on the cooler shelves in the lower part of the kiln. That way I can still fire them the way I did. And maybe I’ll also decrease the hold-time a little to give the plates less time to wrap around the tripods. Continue reading

2nd Glazefire

Nachdem der Ofen (diesmal mit Ferro-Ringen) geladen war habe ich ihn am folgenden Tag befeuert. Als ich morgens ins Atelier kam hatte er schon 450 Grad und es roch äußerst komisch im ganzen Atelier. Von den Glasuren kann das bei dieser Temperatur eigentlich nicht kommen und jegliche Sulfate hätten schon beim Schrühbrand ausbrennen müssen. Nach einigem Überlegen und einem Telefonat mit Carl Jäger schien es mir am wahrscheinlichsten, dass der Kleber in der Aufglasur bei dieser Temperatur verbrannt ist, da sich der Geruch danach auch gelegt hat. Dennoch muss ich unbedingt die Kita anrufen und fragen, ob ich den Abzug endlich abholen kann. Gesund ist das ja sicher nicht mit den ganzen Gasen die sich da bilden. Continue reading

Preparation

So the last week I emptied my second bisque load. Everything went fine. I found out that I can’t lay down the branches to save space because they will crack. But other than that nothing cracked. I mixed a bunch of glazes that still needed testing, especially the silicon carbide reds I was curious about. So I mixed a couple of variations and tried different grain sizes (4800 and 800). Feet were waxed and glazing began. Thanks to my testtiles I already knew more or less what I was going for. It still took a whole day and some reapplication till I could load the kiln. My iron-red-brown glaze and some others were mixed too thickly and would peel off the pots so I needed to redo them completely. But in the end almost everything fit in the kiln.

Supersaftiges Chia-Kastenbrot

Beim Großputz in der WG-Küche ist uns neulich eine Tüte mit Chiasaat in die Hände gefallen, die seit dem unbenutzt im Regal steht. Denn irgendwie wusste keiner so recht, was man damit anfangen sollte und außerdem hatten wir ja auch Leinsamen im Haus, die ich regelmäßig fürs Brot backen verwende. Da ich aber für einige Wochen eine Low-Carb-Diät gemacht habe ist das Brotbacken auf der Strecke geblieben. Und so hat meine  neue Mitbewohnerin, Meike, vor kurzem ein Chia-Brot gekauft. Continue reading

2nd Bisque

It’s been exactly a month since I did my last bisque fireing. I have been superbusy throwing, slipcasting and slab-building so I can do a second bisque. Today I drove to my aunts place (by bike!) to load the kiln and candle it for a bit, so the pieces are really dry. Since it rained all day there’s a high humidity in the air and I don’t wanna risk it damaging my pots when I bisque it right away. Continue reading